Frequently Asked Questions

J-1 Work & Travel:

Q: What is a J-1 Work & Travel visa?
A: The J-1 Work & Travel visa allows international students who are currently enrolled in a university, college or vocational school to work in the United States for up to 4 months during the official school vacation.

Q: How can I find an H-2B job?
A: EDI often has H-2B positions available on our Open Position List.

Q: Do I need to come to the United States to have a host company interview?
A: No. EDI will set up telephone interviews for applicants.

Q: How can I find a place to stay during the program?
A: EDI can assist in arranging housing for program applicants prior to the beginning of the program. Some host companies may provide you housing as well.

Q: Do I need to have insurance? How can I apply for insurance?
A: Work & Travel program participants are required to have insurance throughout the duration of the program. EDI can assist you in obtaining insurance when you apply.

Q: Can I extend my stay after completing the program?
A: No. There is a 1-month grace period after completion of the program for you to travel within the U.S., but you must leave the country after that time.


Q: What is a H-2B visa and for how long is it valid?
A: H-2B working visa allows internationals to enter the United States temporarily and engage in seasonal employment. The maximum length of time an H-2B visa holder can stay in the U.S. is three years.

Q: Can I apply for an H-2B visa on my own?
A: No. A U.S. employer, like one of EDI Open Position hosts, must sponsor you.

Q: What are the benefits of an H-2B visa?
A: You can enter the U.S. for temporary work and enjoy all employee benefits. You can even bring your dependents to stay with you in the U.S.

Q: What happens if I lose my position during the program? Can I still stay in the U.S.?
A: No. Once you lose your position, you lose your visa status and will need to leave the country. However, any problems with employers will be discussed with EDI before dismissal is made.