Frequently Asked Questions

Before the internship begins:

Q: What types of internships are available?
A: EDI has a variety of placements available. Just take a look at our Open Position List on our website.

Q: Do I have to have a high level of English skill to participate?
A: No. Since you will be learning English during the internship program, there are no strict requirements on English skills. However, it is recommended that participants have basic communication skills to work with supervisors and people at the host organization.

Q: What happens if I can get the position I apply for? Can I apply for another position?
A: Yes. You may select and apply for a different position from our Open Position List without any charge.

Q: Can I switch the host organization during the program if there are problems?
A: It depends on the situation. It is advisable that interns consult their supervisors to resolve difficulties. EDI staff will work closely with the intern and the host to reach the best solution for all.

Q: My host organization asked me to submit a Tuberculosis test result before the beginning of the internship program? Can I get it done in the U.S.?
A: Yes, you can. We can introduce you to local clinics close to your internship or school location after your arrival.

Q: How can I find a place to stay during the program?
A: Your English school provides housing options, including home-stay, residential hotels, apartments or room-shares. If you need housing, please indicate this on the application form and the school will arrange your accommodation for you.

After arrival:

Q: How can I commute to my school and host organization without a car?
A: The host organizations and English schools are accessible to public transportation. There will be assistance from your school during your orientation.

Before completion of the program:

Q: How can I extend my stay if I like my internship or want to take English classes longer?
A: You can extend by simply speaking with your school or calling EDI. You will not be required to obtain a visa as long as you stay in the U.S. for less than 3 months. (This is called the Visa Waiver program for international visitors) However, if you wish to participate in this program for 3 months or longer, you will need to obtain an F-Visa (Student Visa) with the I-20 issued by your English school.